When to take IMITREX®-
IMITREX® should be taken at the onset of a Migraine attack. But, if you can't, you should know that IMITREX® is usually effective at any time - even if you take it when your Migraine is at its worst. In addition, IMITREX® is not a narcotic or barbiturate, and, most importantly, according to the manufacturer, in most people IMITREX® does not cause the unpleasant side effect of drowsiness. The most frequently seen side effects are tingling and nasal discomfort.
Using IMITREX® Nasal Spray-
Here are the manufacturer's directions for using the IMITREX® Nasal Spray system-
1. Remove the IMITREX® Nasal Spray unit from the plastic pack. Do not remove the unit until you are ready to use.
The unit contains only one spray; DO NOT test before use.
2. While sitting down, gently blow your nose to clear your nasal passages.
3. Keeping your head in an upright position, gently close one nostril with your index finger. Breathe out gently through your mouth.
4. With your other hand, hold the container with your thumb supporting it at the bottom, and your index and middle fingers on either side of the nozzle. Insert the nozzle into your open nostril about 1/2 inch. Do not press the blue plunger yet. Keep your head upright and close your mouth.
5. While gently taking a breath through your nose, release the spray dosage of IMITREX® by firmly pressing the blue plunger.
6. Remove the nozzle from your nostril. At the same time, keep your head level for 10 to 20 seconds while gently breathing in through your nose and breathing out through your mouth.
DO NOT BREATHE IN DEEPLY.
Keep IMITREX® (sumatriptan) Nasal Spray and all medicines out of the reach of children.
Do not remove the nasal spray device from the blister packaging untill you are ready to use it.
Blow your nose if it feels blocked.
hold the nasal spray device gently with your and thumb.
DO NOT PRESS THE "BLUE PLUNGER" YET.
Block one nostril by pressing a finger firmly on the side of yout nose, and [ breathe out]gently through your [mouth].
Put the [nozzle]of the nasal spray device into your other nostril,as far as it feels comfortable.
now tilt your head back SLIGHTLY and close your mouth.
Start to breathe in gently through your nose and at the same time press the [blue plunger] firmly with your thumb.this will spray the entire dose into tour nostril.
Keep your head tilted back and breathe gently through your mouth for 10 to 20 seconds.you can remove the device and your finger from the other side of your nose while you do this.
note:your nose may feel wet inside and you may notice a slight taste after using the spray-this is normal and will soon pass.